Tuscan Beef Stew "Peposo"
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 1 kg Island Beef cubed stewing beef (seasoned with salt)
- ½ tbsp Freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 250 grams Onion, minced
- 125 grams Carrot, minced
- 125 grams Celery, minced
- 4 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Starting with ½ cup of the olive oil in a stewing pot, brown the Island Beef cubed stewing meat over medium-high heat in batches.
- Once the beef is browed, add the remaining olive oil to the pan and sweat the vegetables over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine.
- Return the cubed Island Beef to the pot and stir in the black pepper and rosemary.
- Cover the pot with its lid and place in the oven. Braise the stew for 3 ½ - 4 hours until the beef is tender, and the red wine has reduced into a rich sauce. If the dish is still too liquid, remove the cover and reduce the sauce on the stove until desired consistency is achieved.