Make Ahead Island Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Entertaining a crowd with sirloin tip roast.
Write a review
- 3 lb (1.25 kg) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef sirloin tip roast
- 2 ¼ tsp (11.25 mL) kosher salt, divided
- ¾ tsp (3.75 mL) ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) beef broth, beer or water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Sobey’s steak buns
- ½ cup (120 mL) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Compliments prepared horseradish
- 6 oz (170 g) Dairy Isle medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C). Line the bottom of a shallow baking pan with foil.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels and cut lengthwise into 3 even pieces. Season all over with 2 tsp (10 mL) salt and ½ tsp (2.5 mL) pepper and transfer to the baking pan. Place in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 475°F (245°C). Roast for 10 minutes to brown the beef.
- Without opening the oven door, reduce the heat to 200°F (95°C) and continue cooking for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145°F (63°C).
- Remove the roasts from the oven and let cool. Wrap in foil and cool completely in the refrigerator overnight or until the beef is firm.
- To finish the sandwiches, preheat the oven broiler. Cut each piece of beef lengthwise into 1” (2.5 cm) strips, then slice as thinly as possible. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions, season with remaining ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt and ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) pepper. Gently cook, reducing the heat if necessary to prevent scorching, until onions are browned and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the beef, broth and Worcestershire sauce and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid. Steam for a couple minutes until the beef is warmed through. Remove from heat.
- Slice open the buns without cutting all the way through. Mix together the mayonnaise and horseradish, and spread evenly inside the buns. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Divide the beef and onion mixture evenly between the buns and top with shredded cheese. Transfer to the oven and broil until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Letting the beef cool completely in the refrigerator is crucial to making an easy-to-eat sandwich. The beef will firm up, making it easier to slice into thin tender strips. The roast can be cooked and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving. This recipe can easily be doubled and assembled in batches.
Prince Edward Island Beef https://islandbeef.ca/