Coffee Crusted Prime Rib Steaks with Grilled Fennel and Leeks
Prime rib steak great for BBQ or entertaining a crowd.
Write a review
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coffee grounds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Compliments chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) kosher salt
- 2 bone-in Prince Edward Island Certified Beef prime rib steaks (about 1.5 lb/675 g each)
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 leeks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- Preheat the grill on the highest setting.
- To make the rub, combine coffee, chili powder, sugar & salt in a small bowl. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels then generously and evenly coat the steaks on all sides with the rub, pressing to ensure it adheres.
- For the fennel bulbs, remove the tops and bottoms then cut each into 12 slices, using the core to keep each slice intact. For the leeks, remove the dark green top and the root end, keeping the white and first 1” of the light green section. Cut each in half, then cut each half from top to bottom for a total of 8 pieces. Without separating the layers, rub the leek and fennel slices with half of the olive oil.
- Grill the steaks on one side for 5 minutes. Flip the steak, add the fennel and leeks to the grill, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, turn the vegetables over and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the internal temperature of the steak is 135°F for medium rare, 140°F for medium, 145°F for medium well.
- Remove the steaks and vegetables from the grill. Loosely cover with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining olive oil, honey, lime zest and juice, and salt. Toss with fennel and leeks.
- Remove the bone from the steaks then thinly slice the steaks against the grain. Serve the beef with a few slices of fennel and leeks.
- The grilled fennel and leek can be chopped into bite sized pieces and tossed in the vinaigrette for a warm salad.
Prince Edward Island Beef https://islandbeef.ca/