Braised Beef - 2 Meals
Write a review
- 4 lb (2 kg) Bone-in Beef Short Ribs
- ½ tsp EACH coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges lengthwise
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water
Meal 1: South-Western Pulled Beef
- Pat beef dry with paper towels. Season beef all over with salt and pepper. Heat half of oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches, adding more oil as needed, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to plate.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring over medium-high heat, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste, cook, stirring, until deep red, about 2 minutes. Stir in wine, add short ribs and any accumulated juices. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and stock. Bring to boil. Cook, covered tightly in 325°F oven until beef is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and herb stems. Whisk cornstarch mixture into beef cooking sauce, stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. If desired, remove beef from bone and set aside 2 cups of the Stew to make the Wagon Wheel Bites within the next 3 days. Makes 4 to 6 servings of Stew and approx. 18 Bites (8 cups Stew; 2 cups for the Bites).
Meal 2: Beef ‘n Blue Wagon Wheel Bites
- Lightly beat 2 eggs; set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of thawed puff pastry (half a 450 g pkg) to a ¼ inch thickness 12 x 12 inches. Mince 2 cups Stew and sauce on cutting board; spread mixture over pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Top with 1 cup crumbled blue cheese. Roll up like a jelly roll, sealing long edge of pastry with some of the beaten egg. Place seam side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Chill for 1 hour. Slice pastry roll crosswise into 1-inch slices. Place slices on parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each with remaining beaten egg; bake in 425°F oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Top with some sour cream mixed with horseradish to taste if desired.
Prince Edward Island Beef https://islandbeef.ca/