Mustard Basted Steak with Sage Onion Compote
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp EACH Dijon mustard and canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 500 g (1 lb) Beef Grilling or Marinating Steak/Medallions
- Sage Onion Compote (recipe follows)
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, oil, garlic and thyme in large sealable bag. Pierce steak all over with fork; add to bag, seal and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours for Grilling Steak or 8 to 12 hours for Marinating Steak.
- Discard marinade. Pat steak dry with paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill, broil or pan-fry using medium-high heat, turning twice or more with tongs. Cook until digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into steak reads 145ºF (63ºC) for medium-rare, or 160ºF (71ºC) for medium. Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with Sage Onion Compote.
SAGE ONION COMPOTE:
- In heavy saucepan, heat 1 tbsp EACH butter and canola oil over medium heat; add 3 cups sliced red onion, stirring often for 10 to 12 minutes or until just starting to brown. Stir in 1/4 cup toasted almonds (coarsely chopped) and 1 tbsp EACH brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and chopped fresh sage; heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.