Mushroom-Crusted Tenderloin with Mighty Mushroom Sauce
Write a review
2 hr 10 min
2 hr 10 min
- 1 pkg (approx. 14 g) dried mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. EACH olive oil and grainy mustard
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp EACH pepper and coarse sea salt
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Prince Edward Island Certified Beef Oven Roast
- Mighty Mushroom Sauce (recipe follows)
- Finely chop dried mushrooms; soak half in 1/4 cup warm water. Set aside. Combine remaining mushrooms, oil, mustard, rosemary, garlic, pepper and salt; rub all over roast. Insert meat thermometer lengthwise into centre of roast so shaft is not visible. Place on rack in ovenproof skillet or shallow pan. Add 1/4 inch (5 mm) water to pan (to prevent dried mushrooms from scorching).
- Cook roast, uncovered, in 450F (230C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275F (140C); roast until thermometer reads 145F (63C) for medium-rare, about 2 hours. Transfer roast to cutting board; tent with foil for 15 minutes, reserving pan drippings.
- Slice roast and serve with Mighty Mushroom Sauce.
Mighty Mushrooms Sauce
- Heat pan drippings in roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp butter and melt. Add 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms and 1/4 cup chopped onion: sauté until tender. Stir in reserved soaked mushrooms with soaking liquid and 1/4 cup red wine; simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup beef broth; cook, stirring until boiling. Stir in mixture made of 1 tbsp. cornstarch and 1 tbsp. cold water; cook and stir until thickened. Season to taste. Makes 1 cup sauce.
Prince Edward Island Beef http://islandbeef.ca/