Marvellous Mushroom Pot Roast
Pot roasts make the most comforting one-pot meals. And bonus – they’re so simple to make: Just brown meat and flavourings, add a liquid for cooking, cover and slow-simmer – that's all there is to it!
Write a review
- 4 lb (2 kg) Prince Edward Island Certified Beef Pot Roast (e.g. Cross Rib, Blade or Brisket)
- Coarsely ground sea salt or Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cooking onion, cut into wedges lengthwise
- ¼ cup (50 mL) red wine or beef broth
- 1 can, (284 mL) condensed mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried mushrooms, soaked, straining and reserving soaking liquid
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced green beans and quartered button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped parsley
- Pat roast dry with towelling and season all over with salt and pepper. Use a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron pot to brown roast. Brown all over in hot oil using medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning often with tongs. Remove roast to plate; set aside.
- Add garlic and onion to pot; reduce heat to medium and cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes, adding more oil or a splash of water to prevent scorching. Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Stir in mushroom soup, mushrooms, soaked dried mushrooms and liquid from soaked dried mushrooms. Add roast.
- *Cover with tight fitting lid Simmer on stove-top over low heat or in 325°F (160°F) for 2 hours, maintaining a constant simmer. Turn roast over; scatter with green beans. Cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes until vegetables and meat are fork-tender. Remove roast and vegetables to platter; tent with foil.
- Season sauce to taste. Finish by stirring in parsley. Serve veggies and sauce with sliced roast.
- *Slow-Cooker Method: Transfer roast and any liquid in pan (from browning) into a slow cooker insert. Add mushrooms, soaked dried mushrooms and soaking liquid. Cover and slow-cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours. Remove roast to cutting board; cover with foil and towel to keep warm. Add green beans to sauce; cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley; serve veggies and sauce with sliced roast.
Prince Edward Island Beef http://islandbeef.ca/