Carne Asada Tri Tip with Salsa
Use either Outside or Inside Skirt Marinating Steak (Inside is the more tender option) and ask that the silverskin membrane be trimmed off. If you can't find Skirt Steak a Flank Steak is a good substitute. Serve Skirt Steak sliced thinly with Fresh Tomato Salsa tucked into warmed tortillas or with a side of steamed rice and chili-spiced kidney or pinto beans.
Write a review
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chipolte chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 handful fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, oregano and/or parsley, minced
- 2 lb (0.91 kg) Prince Edward Island Certified Beef Skirt Marinating Steak
- Coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh Tomato Salsa (recipe follows)
- Combine garlic, lime juice, oil, vinegar,cumin, chili powder, sugar and herbs in large resealable freezer bag. Pierce steak all over with fork; place into bag and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towel; discard marinade. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Cook steak on lightly oiled grill over medium heat (400°F/200°C); close lid and cook, for 6 to 8 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C).
- Remove to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand about 5 minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Serve with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
- In medium bowl, combine 2 medium tomatoes, (seeded and diced), 1 small avocado (diced), 1/2 onion (minced), 2 cloves garlic (minced), 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced), juice from 1 lime, 2 tbsp olive oil and handful of fresh herbs such as oregano, basil and/or cilantro (chopped). Season with some granulated sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Since Skirt Steak is thin, a marinade time as little as 1 hour still gives great flavour and tenderness. Skirt Steak can also stand up to an aggressive marinade for up to 24 hours without getting mushy.
Prince Edward Island Beef http://islandbeef.ca/